At Foreign Currency Direct we pride ourselves on our service, helping our clients transfer money all over the World in the simplest, safest way possible. To us a client is not a number, each and every one receives a personal service from a dedicated account manager who knows their situation and understands their needs.
Upping sticks and moving abroad is obviously a massive decision. There’s a hundred and one things to worry about and organise, so thorough and in-depth research is always going to be the first step.
Know what you are doing
With such a vast amount of information to get to grips with, and thousands of websites and books to read, there isn’t a particular place to start. Start with the the bigger questions around what you are looking for, the country, the type of property etc. This is most likely to be the best bet, then you can get to grips with the nitty gritty of factors such as immigration law and healthcare systems.
Here's a few things to consider looking in to... just to get your research started:
- Are you buying a property as a holiday home or for permanent residence?
- Are you looking for a bustling city, a rural escape, or something in between?
- If there’s a language barrier, how difficult will it be to overcome?
- Will you need a vehicle to get around?
- If you're moving abroad with family, what is the education system like?
- Is the healthcare system available to expats?
When you are planning to move overseas don't rush your research, the devil is in the detail. Time spend on research in the early stages will pay dividends in the long run.
That’s just the beginning, but once you’ve chosen where you want to go, it’s time to get more technical.
- What are property prices like there?
- What are the costs of living there?
- How will you finance your time there?
- What are the legal implications and do you have the necessary support to ensure everything is done properly?
The research you do now will set the foundation for your time in your new home. Don’t rush as the devil is in the detail. Be as thorough as you can.